Eliminating the typical car rental experience
After recently traveling out of state and needing a rental car, I have decided to further change Phasmid Rentals policies to eliminate any association with standard rental car companies. This comes from the incessant nickel-and-dime treatment and poor service that my family and I experienced having rented 6-cars for a family gathering. Examples of what I noticed from the six rental cars; providers were Hertz, Enterprise, and Budget:
- 2-sets of keys and key fobs on one, welded together, keychain. This is insane! So if by some circumstance the renter loses the car keys not only will the rental car company have to come and open the car, but they will also charge for 2-lost sets. This would likely cost upwards of $500!
- Fuel. Pre-pay fule for $.75 more than the cost at the pump (or) be charged $2+ per gallon more than the cost at the pump.
- Fuel + mileage. Now, this is my favorite. If I drove the car more than 75-miles (during a 1-week rental) I would be charged an additional $13.99 for fuel- even if I return the car with a full tank.
- Filthy cars. One car had a stain on the back seat that looked like oil, disgusting. All had dirty dashboards, door sills, and windows.
- Bad cars. We all had standard or full sized sedans. Kia, Hyundai, and Chevrolet. The Chevrolet was the only tolerable car. The Hyundai had absolutely unbearable road noise. The Kia couldn’t drive in a straight line to save its life.
Continuing our drive to change the car rental business
In observation of the poor practice of my competitors, I am hereby adjusting Phasmid Rentals polices (and I can do this being the owner of the company!)
- Fuel: if you return the car without the same amount of fuel that you received the car with, DON’T WORRY! We will take the car down the road, fill it back up to where it started, and only charge you the price at the pump. NO surcharge, NO fuel price increase- just good service.
- Mileage: We have been in business long enough to know that our average renter goes 280-miles per week in the winter if they are skiing in Big Sky and 1,200 per week if they are touring Yellowstone. Some drive 2,000 miles in a week, some drive 50- it balances out in the end. This is built into the price. We just ask if you are going to Florida or other major distances you let us know so we can build into the price. We will not charge additional mileage fees (as long as you are honest with us up front!).
- Keys: If you want a second set of keys to say, run a drift boat shuttle with, just ask. Not a big deal.
- Cleanliness: Regardless of the age of the vehicle, all of our rental cars are impeccably maintained and every surface is cleaned between each rental – whether it needs it or not. If you are not happy with the cleanliness of your car we will either provide an alternate vehicle or adjust your final price due accordingly.
If you are not fully satisfied with your experience renting a car from Phasmid Rentals, in any way, please let me know and I will make it right. You have my word.
Owner/ Founder Phasmid Rentals